The first school in Crothersville was a frame building that was 20’x30′ and was located where the Four Square Church is at the present time, (the old Masonic Lodge). The first little school of Crothersville was succeeded by another that was quickly outgrown. So rapid was the growth of the Crothersville community that a still larger building was erected.
The new structure was at the site of the present school and was completed in 1885 for $8,000.00. It was said to have been the best arranged school building in Jackson County at that time. This building was remodeled and more classrooms were built in 1899. Before the completion; however, the school building was struck by lightning and completely destroyed by fire.
For two years, students attended school at local churches and store rooms about town while a new school was being constructed. After consolidation, the building was again remodeled and enlarged. This building served as grade and high school for the Crothersville Community until 1955 when the new school building was completed.
This photo was taken 1897 by J.J. Jones.
The Crothersville School is currently located at 109 S Preston on a thirty acre campus. The Jr / Sr High School and the Elementary School are located under the same roof. The new high school was completed in 1956.
The Crothersville Community School underwent an $8.5 million renovation project during the 2002-2004 school years. The addition of air-conditioning to all classrooms as well as a new gym, cafetorium, math computer lab and renovated band room has greatly added to the offerings at the Crothersville School.
Link to the web site of the Crothersville Community School for current happenings, sports information and class schedules, as well as the school calendar and lunch menus!